Financial & Legal

Residency - Ona boat ??

TradeWinds writes in Financial & Legal

Hi, we currently rent our primary residence and therefore have no where to live when back in France.
If we purchased a boat and lived on it, would that be acceptable as a 'residence' for French Social Security purposes etc.
Please reply if you have some experience as this is a particular situation. Have scoured the net to no avail.
TW

Posted on: 29/06/2012 at 15:34

TradeWinds -

To begin with, you may find you're asked more questions than offerings.

One point already has my interest - you say you rent your primary residence. In that case you cannot be evicted without a whole raft of reasons to support the move. Have you elected to move out? I'm curious about your mention of "...nowhere to live when back in France..."

Is there anything in your rental contracts that actually use those terms or are they the terms used by your insurer? As a tenant you hold significant rights of tenure if it is indeed your primary residence, but I'm sure you're fully aware of all that.

Posted on: 29/06/2012 at 16:08

@ Alan - I read the original post to mean that they have a house in France that is "rented out" , therefore they cannot move into it.

@ Tradewinds - no personal exp. but had friends that lived on a boat near Perpignan for several years after bringing it down through the canals, the owner of the marina where you moor the craft should give you an attestation as proff of residence for the authorities.

Cant find an 'official' link but searching google for "voilier en habitation principale" got this which seems to agree.

http://www.hisse-et-oh.com/forums/forums-techniques/messages/675044-voilier-en-habitation-principale

Posted on: 29/06/2012 at 17:02

Well is it the primary residence or is it rented out? It can't be both.

Posted on: 29/06/2012 at 17:09

As I said - we might find we start out with more questions....!

Outlaw - you could be right.

Rache. Trust a woman to bring us straight to the point!!

Posted on: 29/06/2012 at 17:11

Thanks for the replies everyone. Outlaw got it right in interpreting my poor question. Because we travel for 6 months of the year we let our house rather than have it empty. That means when we return 'home' we have nowhere to live. We stay with friends etc. That being the case we have no utility bills, Habitation tax with our names on. You need these every two years or so.
The boat idea is attractive as we tend to be here during the summer. So, the question was relating to is it a 'residence' albeit a secondary one.
Apologies for the confusion. Lesson learnt.

Posted on: 29/06/2012 at 20:32

Tending to be here in the summer ........ To qualify for French residency you must live here for at least 6 months/183 days of every year. Where you live, be it in one of several homes or on a boat, doesn't affect your residency status so long as you can prove you actually occupied it for 6 months. The harbour master will only give you a residency attestation if you are in occupancy and not just if your boat is moored there.

Presumably you declare your rental income in the UK.

As a French resident you declare your resources each year as from next May (for the first time you have to go and get the form, you can't do it online) and all global income excluding UK Government pensions is subject to tax here. You must make a declaration even if you have zero resources.

By French Social Security purposes, are you referring to CPAM and cartes vitales? As you'll have read (ad infinitum!) on various forums, eligibility has really tightened up and anything 'out of the ordinary' is checked rigourously. Despite what you may hear and read about, to enter the French health system you need to have lived here for at least 3 months continuously and, what many people don't realise is, you must prove a 'droit de séjour'. This is proof of regular income to support all family members.

Posted on: 30/06/2012 at 14:43

Featured Business

Bright Avocats

Team of French trained British partners with offices in Toulouse and Montauban. Services include...
Read more...

BUPA - free quote for your international health insurance

Click on the website link for a free quote for worldwide health cover for you and your family:...
Read more...

AXA PPP International

We have over 40 years of experience insuring the health of expatriates worldwide. Our plans have...
Read more...

Content Sponsor

AXA PPP

We have over 40 years of experience insuring the health of expatriates worldwide. Our plans have... Find out more...

Moneycorp

If you need to send money overseas Moneycorp, the exchange experts, can help you make your money... Find out more...